On the Market: Sail Racing Moves
COVID-19: THE ANNOUNCEMENTS THIS WEEK
- FRENCH OLYMPIC SAILING WEEK IN HYÈRES, cancelled because of the Covid-19 virus, will not be rescheduled in 2020. The 2021 edition will include the new events planned for the Paris 2024 Olympics, including the mixed two-handed offshore race.
- THE TRESCO TÉLÉGRAMME TROPHY (19th-24th May starting in Morlaix) has been cancelled.
- PORQUEROLLES YACHT CLUB has announced that the Porquerolle’s Race (20th-24th May), the Porquerolle’s Cup (30th-31st May) and the Porquerolle’s Classic (11th-14th June) have all been cancelled.
- THE ROLEX GIRAGLIA (5th-13th June) has been cancelled, the 68th edition will be held from 11th to 19th June 2021.
- THE 2020 TOUR VOILE (3rd-19th July) will not be taking place. The organiser, ASO made this announcement on Thursday considering that a postponement until later in the year was not possible.
- THE EUROPEAN J80 CHAMPIONSHIP (4th-11th July, Saint-Cast Le Guildo) has been cancelled.
- THE TOUR OF PORTS IN THE MANCHE (5th-10th July) has been cancelled.
- THE QUEBEC SAINT-MALO transatlantic race due to start on 12th July has been cancelled.
- THE VENDÉE GLOBE “remains on course,” according to the organiser, the SAEM Vendée, who on Thursday reaffirmed their “will to be able to give the start of this ninth edition on the 8th November in the best possible conditions, while remaining very attentive to developments of the situation”. A further announcement will be made shortly about the adaptation of the New York – Vendée Les Sables-d’Olonne race.
- 11TH HOUR RACING is looking for a communications director for the next edition of The Ocean Race; a full-time fixed term contract from June 2020 to August 2022. Candidates should apply before 15th May.
- OCEAN DATA SYSTEM is looking for a technician/installer/integrator and an all-round bilingual assistant to cope with its development; permanent contracts in Lorient with the posts open immediately.
- THE INTERNATIONAL LASER CLASS ASSOCIATION is looking for an assistant technical officer, a part-time job which could become full time.
- THE OCEAN RACE is recruiting a sustainability communications manager.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & PARTNERSHIPS
- KIM ANDERSEN, President of World Sailing, explained on Tuesday some of the measures they are taking to deal with the financial difficulties in the international sailing federation with in particular a proposal aimed at cutting top salaries by 20%.
- FRENCH OLYMPIC SAILING WEEK IN HYÈRES is also moving to a virtual event with inshore races for 49er and Nacra 17 classes from 20th to 26th April.
- THE FFVOILE has launched its campaign to offer support to affiliated clubs by making enthusiasts aware that they can obtain or renew their licences and pay their fees without waiting until the end of the lockdown.
- THE LUNA ROSSA PRADA PIRELLI TEAM agrees to a salary reduction plan to meet the economic situation, the team members also chose to donate part of this sum to support the hospitals of the Sardinia Region in their fight against Coronavirus. The total donation will be used to purchase five lung ventilators for the ATS hospitals most in need. Part of the technical staff was also involved in the production of protective visors to integrate the supplies already being sent to the Cagliari hospitals.
Photo: Jean-Marie Liot / ASO
We send our news by email every Friday before they appear online. Subscribe here, if not done yet 😉