[COVID-19: THE ANNOUNCEMENTS THIS WEEK]
- The “AFFOILANTE” WEEK (1st-3rd May, Port-Fréjus) has been cancelled with the organisers looking ahead to 2021, with the event scheduled from 30th April to 2nd May.
- The EUROCAT in Carnac will not take place on the weekend of the 1st May. They have not yet decided whether the event will be postponed or cancelled.
- The MELGES 24 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS (1-9 May, Charleston), have been cancelled but might finally be held at the end of the year in Miami.
- The CORSICA MED (scheduled start on May 4 from Marseille) has been postponed by a year for IRC, while Mini Med, which was part of the event, could take place as part of the Duo Max (starts on 17 June).
- The GRAND PRIX DE LA ROCHELLE (May 7-10 in Diam 24) has been postponed, the new date should be known next Monday.
- The GASCOGNE 45/5, the last qualifying race for the Transquadra, for which the start was to be on May 7 in La Rochelle, was postponed to 11 June.
- The EUROPEAN ORC CHAMPIONSHIP (16th – 22nd May, Naples-Capri) has been postponed for a year (15th-21st May 2021).
- The TRANSPAC TAHITI RACE, which was due to start on 28th May from Los Angeles with the finish in Tahiti, has been postponed. The organiser is looking at some other dates.
- The ATLANTIC CUP (5th-21st June), a race reserved for Class40 boats, will not be taking place.
- SAILGP has suspended its 2020 season through the end of June. As a result, New York SailGP will not take place on June 12-13 as scheduled.
- The BOL D’OR MIRABAUD (13th – 14th June) has been cancelled. The 2021 edition is scheduled for 11th to 13th June.
- The 2020 WORLD CUP SERIES FINAL (14th-21st June, Enoshima) has been cancelled.
- The 2020 YACHT RACING FORUM remains in place for 23rd-24th November in Portsmouth, but a final decision will be taken in mid-June.
- The TOKYO OLYMPICS will take place from 23rd July to 8th August 2021, following an announcement from the IOC with the Paralympic Games scheduled for 24th August to 5th September in the same year.
[DEPARTURES & NOMINATIONS]
- KHAMIS AL JABRI has been appointed new CEO of Oman Sail from 1st April. He replaces the British director David Graham, who had been in the job for eleven years.
- OCEAN DATA SYSTEM is looking for a technician/installer/integrator and an all-round bilingual assistant to cope with its development; permanent contracts in Lorient with the posts open immediately.
The INTERNATIONAL LASER CLASS ASSOCIATION is looking for an assistant technical officer, a part-time job which could become full time.
- WORLD SAILING is looking for a head of marketing and sponsorship and a partnerships manager. Applications should be sent in by 12th April.
- THOMAS DALMAS, currently on a short term contract after an internship with Team Initiatives Coeur, is looking for a job as research engineer with fixed term or permanent contract with an ocean racing team from May 2020.
[ANNOUNCEMENTS & PARTNERSHIPS]
- TRANSPAC 2021 (2225 miles between Los Angeles and Honolulu) will start on July 13 2021 registrations are already open.
- The 2020 SOLITAIRE DU FIGARO will take place from 30th August to 20th September with a 1830-mile course. This was made official this week with four legs announced. They will go from Saint-Brieuc Bay to Dunkirk and the Loire-Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire and Pornichet). See the Notice of race.
- The GREAT ESCAPE, the virtual transatlantic race between La Rochelle and Curaçao launched by Virtual Regatta, was won by Black Legend – TPN, a player from New Zealand, while among the pro sailors, Alberto Bona (283rd overall), who previously won the virtual Solo Maître CoQ, came in ahead of Franck Cammas (412th overall) and Sam Goodchild.
- SAILFREEGPS, launched a year ago, is a sailing application available on Android, which allows you to display your current position, route, speed, maximum speed, average speed, distance sailed, bearing on your magnetic compass…
- WORLD SAILING and VIRTUAL REGATTA facing the cancellation of various competitions concerning the Olympic classes, announced this week the launch of their virtual equivalents. There will therefore be virtual racing (in 49er and Nacra 17) at the Trofeo Princesa Sofia de Palma, the World Cup Series in Genoa and Kiel Week.
- XAVIER DAGAULT has launched his new sail making business, Dagosails, in the Minimes harbour in La Rochelle, where he will be carrying out all of the repair business for Incidence Sails, with whom he had been working up until now.
Photo: OC Sport – Pen Duick
We send our news by email every Friday before they appear online. Subscribe here, if not done yet 😉
[dt_default_button link=”https://www.tipandshaft.com/en/subscribe” button_alignment=”default” animation=”fadeIn” size=”medium” default_btn_bg_color=”#ffb200″ bg_hover_color=”#0A0A0A” text_color=”#0A0A0A” text_hover_color=”#ffb200″ icon=”fa fa-chevron-circle-right” icon_align=”center”]SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE[/dt_default_button]